Wednesday, January 2, 2008

The Slab - Covers

For some bands the 'kiss of death' to be labeled a 'covers' band. I can still remember seeing Powderfinger play at the Irish Pub in The Valley doing 90% Rolling Stones covers to a packed house of mostly beautiful women. I know in the bands I played in we usually had at least one cover in our set. My favourites from those days being 'Swampland' Scientists and 'Stepping Stone, Monkeys. These days I sit at home and play covers for myself...my favourites this week being 'Dead Flowers' Stones and 'Darklands' Jesus and Mary Chain.

So why do bands play covers? To respect their heritage, to surprise the crowd and it's fun. R.E.M, Pearl Jam, Oasis all play covers when they play live. So tonight in the second edition of The Slab I give you 24 of the best covers I can find. We have Nick Cave, R.E.M, Teenage Fanclub, The Hitmen, Sports, Paul Kelly, Nirvana, Foo Fighters, Iggy Pop, Dinosaur Jr, Johnny Cash, The Saints, The Stems to name a few. Again my favourite Ups and Downs doing 'Solitary Man' by Niel Diamond, if you have never heard this you have missed one of the modern wonders.

http://rapidshare.com/files/80680382/The_Slab_-_Covers_d1_.rar

http://rapidshare.com/files/80694764/The_Slab_-_Covers_d2_.rar

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Deleted files.