Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Straitjacket Fits - Melt


Many thanks to Hank for this one

This is a special record, released during my unsuccessful attempt to become a serious musician. I was living and playing in Sydney doing my dues, thought we sounded pretty good, starting to receive a fair amount of street cred…..then I heard this record…… blown away I was. Become humble again. I thought this record had 'She Speeds' one of my favourite all time songs ’… wrong again. Can be found on ‘Life In One Chord’ EP. No problem, I have and will post with their EP ‘Done’

Straitjacket Fits formed in Dunedin, New Zealand in 1986 and were a prominent band in the Flying Nun label's second wave of the Dunedin Sound. They formed from the ashes of The DoubleHappys, a band comprising Shayne Carter, Wayne Elsey and John Collie. The tragic accidental death of Elsey saw Carter and Collie join forces with David Wood in 1986 to form Straitjacket Fits. Andrew Brough (from The Orange) signed on the following year, adding a foil in the form of pop sensibility to Carter's more raucous songwriting. From their inception, the sound of the band was marked by the seemingly incongruous but highly effective pairing of Carter's rough abrasive voice and strident guitar and Andrew Brough's saccharine-sweet vocals and pop hooks. In 1990 the band started work on their album Melt (produced by Gavin Mackillop), probably their finest album, and one which was to produce moderate hits with the Brough composition "Down In Splendour" and Carter's "Bad Note For A Heart".

http://rapidshare.com/files/77609727/Melt.rar

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you like the Music from my country NZ Go to
http://kiwitapes.blogspot.com/
For NZ Music and Aussie Music go to
http://ausrock.blogspot.com/
unless you already know about them That for the Fits it is one I do not have

Yours Paul

Anonymous said...

I have missed listening to this album for years. Thank you very much for posting.